IATF 16949 Quality Management Standard for the Automotive Industry
Value Add of a Successful IATF 16949 Implementation
Automotive Quality System Functional Safety Checklist
IATF 16949:2016 was published by the International Automotive Task Force (IATF) on October 4, 2016. It defines the requirements of a quality management system for organizations in the automotive industry. The IATF 16949 Quality Management Standard is not a standalone quality management standard, but is implemented as a supplement to, and in conjunction with, ISO 9001:2015.
The IATF is a group of automotive manufacturers and their respective trade associations, formed to provide improved quality products to automotive customers worldwide. All registered organizations are added to the IATF website of recognized organizations, a copy of their certificate information is contained within the site and can be verified at any stage.
Certification to the IATF 16949® standard requires an external Certification Body audit. Before that takes place, you will want to do everything necessary to ensure you are prepared. QSG’s consultants will work with you, using our collective experience and expertise along with our tools and processes, to prepare you for the certification process.
IATF 16949 certification demonstrates that your company has met extensive requirements to create a process of continuous improvement with an emphasis on defect prevention and reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain. The technical specification is implemented for all branches of manufacturers and suppliers of products or production materials, services such as heat treatment or galvanizing, and other products specified by automotive customers such as the constituent parts of vehicles.
Certification is recognized by leading automotive manufacturers and OEMs. Most leading manufacturers will only work with companies that hold IATF 16949 certification, as they insist that suppliers adhere to the strict technical specifications laid out in the standard.
Before seeking certification, you need to implement an effective quality management system complying with IATF 16949 standard requirements. QSG can support you at every stage, from training to self-assessment tools, gap-analysis to certification.
Our Gap Analysis identifies what needs to be implemented or changed based on the extent to which a company already complies with its current systems. The gap assessment then serves as an action plan, listing each task to be completed. A valuable project management tool, it allows the company to assess its own timing expectations based on the resources available. The gap analysis can also serve as a pre-assessment tool or readiness audit, enabling our consultants to coach and consult when problems are found.
Our Auditors can conduct a full audit, evaluating every aspect of your business: every function, every process, every product or service. Our team of experts has experience from all sides, including auditing for certification bodies to prepare you for your eventual certification audit.
Our Customized On-Site Training is designed to meet the specific needs of an organization.
Below is a summary of key requirements in IATF 16949 Quality Management Standard:
- Risk-related requirements to minimize the likelihood of failure during new program development
- Risk-based thinking to maximize the potential realization of planned activities
- Requirements to adopt a process to assess the risk of changes and take appropriate action
- Enhanced product traceability requirements to support latest regulatory changes
- Integration of many common industry practices previously found in customer-specific requirements. This to assure commonality throughout the industry and reduce the need for extensive customer-specific requirements in these areas
- Requirements for both first and second-party auditors, including a documented process to verify internal auditor and trainer competency
- Clarification of sub-tier supplier management and development requirements
- Addition of corporate responsibility requirements
- Addition of a product safety section to ensure intended performance during the entire product lifecycle without causing harm or damage
- Requirement to assess manufacturing feasibility
- If applicable, requirement that organizations must have a warranty process that addresses and integrates all applicable customer-specific requirements and warranty party analysis procedures to validate No Trouble Found
- Embedded software requirements for product validation, warranty and troubleshooting of issues in the field
- Increased focus on operational performance and customer feedback (customer scorecards/metrics)
IATF 16949 certification helps companies:
- Improve processes and product quality.
- Reduce the need for multiple second and third-party audits.
- Increase confidence when bidding for global sourcing contracts.
- Guarantee credibility when bidding for sourcing contracts.
- Reduce production variations and improve manufacturing efficiency, which can positively impact bottom line results.
Plan to attend one of the training courses below to ensure you have all of the information on the latest IATF 16949 Quality Management Standard requirements:
IATF 16949:2016 Requirements Workshop
ISO 9001:2015/IATF 16949:2016 Exemplar Global Lead Auditor
IATF 16949:2016 Implementation Workshop
IATF 16949:2016 Internal Auditing with Core Tools
VDA 6.3 Process Auditor
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
Follow QSG on LinkedIn!
Become a QSG Member today!