ISO 14001 Internal Auditor Training Course Description
ISO 14000 is a series of international standards that deal with environmental issues. The first of this series, ISO 14001, specifies the requirements for an Environmental Management System (EMS) which is the part of an organization’s overall management system used to manage environmental issues. ISO 14001:2015 provides organizations with a systematic methodology to understand strategic implications of environmental management, address adverse effects on the environment or the organization, satisfy compliance obligations, and leverage opportunities for improvement. Environmental issues are at the forefront of corporate priorities today. They present risks and opportunities to both the local/regional environmental conditions and to the organization’s objectives. Having an EMS is important for aligning environmental priorities with business priorities, ensuring that processes for preventing and mitigating environmental impacts are effectively implemented throughout the organization, and driving continual improvement. One of the processes within an EMS that drives improvement is an internal audit.
This highly interactive course takes students through all stages of an internal EMS audit, using realistic case studies and exercises to emphasize the business value gained from conducting effective audits. Through workshops, discussions, and role-plays participants will learn to develop an effective audit program, and how to plan, conduct, and report on an EMS audit in accordance with ISO 19011, Management System Auditing Guidelines. This course will help students learn to accurately interpret and audit against the ISO 14001:2015 requirements. Participants can use these skills to establish or enhance an existing internal audit program and perform internal EMS audits in a manner that provides the greatest business benefit.
Who Should Attend
This ISO 14001 Internal Auditor Training course is designed for Environmental Managers, Engineers, Coordinators and Consultants with EMS responsibilities; Quality Professionals seeking to expand their knowledge into EMS auditing; those responsible for implementing an EMS within their organization; and those who will conduct internal ISO 14001 audits or ISO 14001 audits of the supply chain.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the responsibilities of an internal EMS auditor and the principles of auditing in accordance with ISO 19011.
- Explain the purpose and structure of ISO 14001:2015, and how to assess the requirements for the management of environmental aspects, compliance obligations and risks and opportunities, including the supporting requirements of an EMS.
- Identify the key components of an internal EMS audit program.
- Plan and prepare for an internal EMS audit.
- Evaluate auditor and audit team competencies.
- Gather and evaluate audit evidence.
- Write factual audit findings and reports that help to improve the effectiveness of an organization’s EMS.
- Assess the completeness and effectiveness of corrective action.
ISO 14001:2015 Internal Auditing course topics include:
- Overview of ISO 14001:2015 Requirements
- Managing an Internal EMS Audit Program
- Planning and Performing an EMS Audit
- Collecting Objective Evidence through Interviews, Observation and Documentation Reviews
- Preparing Audit Reports and Communicating Audit Results
8:30am-4:30pm (EST) each day
Course Instructor: Susan Briggs – Consultant, Environmental Management Systems / ISO 14001
Combination lecture, case studies and classroom exercises
Available at QSG’s training facilities and on-site at your organization