Train-the-Trainer is an intensive 16-hour (2 day) program that prepares individuals responsible for training others to get their trainees to the desired level of competence in the shortest possible time. Participants learn how to apply a step-by-step framework to deliver on-the-job training that provides new learners with the necessary skills and knowledge to successfully execute job tasks. When using these strategies, trainers must take into consideration each trainee’s readiness to learn, baseline competency, preferred learning style, and motivation to learn, as well as possible barriers to learning. The program provides a comprehensive practicum in which each participant leads a mini training session that incorporates real-life scenarios to ensure that training is relatable and actionable. Each participant will receive a critique with valuable feedback to enhance their training skills as they relate to the specific content of their current job tasks.
Who Should Attend
This course is appropriate for any employee who is responsible for training others.
After this highly interactive, hand-on workshop, the trainer will be able to:
- Eliminate common barriers to training
- Identify the baseline knowledge, skills, readiness/attitude of a trainee
- Use key adult learning principles
- Apply a five-step on-the-job training plan for a specific job task:
- Determine the training needs
- Define the learning objectives
- Prepare written job instructions
- Establish a training schedule
- Instruct and evaluate the learner
This Train-the-Trainer course outline is a guideline and can be fine-tuned to the specific needs of your company and the program participants. The program incorporates a variety of teaching methods, including assessment tools, facilitator presentations, group discussion, case studies, training simulations and evaluation.
Day 1 (8 hours)
- Analyzing past experiences as a trainee
- Laying groundwork: defining training, the purpose of training, and why training is so important
- Identifying participant’s baseline understanding through a Job Instruction Training Pretest
- Characteristics of an effective trainer
- Skills practice – sending a clear message
- Skills practice- listening using attending skills, clarifying skills, empathetic listening, confirming skills
- Identifying baseline skills, knowledge and mind set of the new learner
- Identifying the natural learning curve for all new learners
- The five-step on-the-job training plan
- Conducting a brief, non-work-related one-on-one training in preparation for Day 2
- Set the stage, schedule, and provide materials for the hands-on mini training sessions on Day 2
Day 2 (8 hours)
- Conducting mini training sessions. Each participant takes the class to their actual work site and conducts an on-the-job training on a job-related task using a class participant as the trainee. The goal is for the trainer to incorporate the training principles and strategies learned in Day 1
- The facilitator and class participants critique the training session, providing both verbal and written feedback to the trainer.
16 hours (2 x 8-hour sessions)
Due to the comprehensive, hands-on nature of this program, the maximum number of participants is 10.
This workshop is delivered on-site only.