Cellular Manufacturing design is a reorganizational system for workplace design that is integral to Lean Manufacturing. In cellular manufacturing, work cells and equipment are arranged to support a smooth flow of materials to minimize the time it takes for a single product to flow through the entire production process. Benefits of cellular manufacturing include increased productivity and quality, and work cells can simplify management and even accounting systems, in addition to material flow.
QSG provides a structured approach to cellular manufacturing design that has proven effective in companies worldwide. It is based on fundamentals rather than imitation of other cells. QSG also provides support in how to handle emotional, political, and organizational issues.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for management, operators, engineers, supervisors, and anyone who would like to learn the basics of Lean Manufacturing.
Upon completion of the program, including the audio-visual presentation, readings, case assignments, and test, students will have demonstrated application of the following subject matter:
- Lean Principles
- 7 Wastes
- Operational Stability
- Standardized Work
- Leveling Production (Heijunka)
- One Piece Flow / Continuous Flow
- Cellular Layouts
- Line Balancing
- Material Replenishment of Cells via Kanban
- What Is Cellular Manufacturing?
- Why work cells are so powerful
- Cell design procedures
- Selecting The Products
- Techniques to identify Product Families
- Group Technology
- Intuitive Grouping
- Production Flow Analysis
- Classification & Coding
- Engineering The Process
- Process Charts to streamline workflow
- How to establish TAKT time, process time, and setup time
- How to determine the right number of people
- What equipment and how much utilization to expect
- Defining/Developing Infrastructure
- How to balance work for equipment and people
- Six methods of production control and which to use
- How to design a Kanban system for your cell
- Integrating work cells with MRP
- How to guide teams to maturity
- How to ensure quality in the work cell
- Material handling & containers
- Balancing the work
- Compensation & rewards
- Cell Layout
- Why cell layout is NOT the first task
- Four layout styles and when to use each
- Implementing your work cell design
- Pros & cons of a Kaizen Blitz
- How to ensure a smooth startup
- Cell Configurations
- Layout Procedures
- Teams & Work cells
- Why teamwork is essential
- What teams need
- Implement fast or slow?
- Kaizen Events
8:30 am – 4:30 pm (EST) or 4 x 2-hour virtual sessions
Combination lecture and classroom exercises
Available virtually, at QSG’s training facilities, or on-site at your organization
Follow QSG on LinkedIn!
Become a QSG Member today!