ISO 9001:2015 is an internationally recognized standard for Quality Management Systems. It is the most widely used QMS standard in the world with over one million certified organizations. Organizations use the standard to demonstrate the ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements. ISO 9001:2015 identifies a framework and both a set of principles that can be used to implement effective processes and effective employees delivering products and services.
ISO 9001:2015 Applicability
ISO 9001:2015 applies to any organization, regardless of size or industry. Organizations of all types and sizes find that using the ISO 9001 standard helps them:
- Organize processes
- Improve the efficiency of processes
- Deliver a constant quality level of products and services
- Continually Improve
ISO 9001:2015 Benefits
ISO 9001:2015 helps organizations ensure their customers consistently receive high quality products and services, which in turn brings many benefits, including satisfied customers, management, and employees.
Because ISO 9001 specifies the requirements for an effective quality management system, organizations find that using the standard helps them:
- Organize a QMS
- Create satisfied customers, management, and employee
- Continually improve their processes
- Reduce costs
ISO 9001:2015 Details
ISO 9001 is based on the plan-do-check-act methodology and provides a process-oriented approach. The standard defines the methodology to document and review the structure, responsibilities, and processes required to achieve effective quality management in an organization. Specific sections of the standard contain information on topics such as:
- QMS requirements, including documented information
- Management responsibilities
- Management of resources, including human resources and an organization’s work environment
- Product realization, including the steps from design to delivery
- Measurement, analysis, and improvement of the QMS through activities like internal audits and corrective action.
ISO 9001:2015 also includes an emphasis on risk-based thinking to enhance the application of the process approach, improved applicability for services, and increased leadership requirements.
ISO 9001:2015 Certification
Achieving ISO 9001:2015 certification means that an organization:
- Demonstrates effective implementation of the requirements of the ISO 9001:2015 standard as well as its own requirements
- Meets customer requirements and statutory and regulatory requirements
- Demonstrates effective processes
Certification to the ISO 9001 standard can enhance an organization’s credibility by showing customers that its products and services meet expectations. The certification process requires completing a successful registrar’s audit confirming the organization meets all requirements.