ISO 45001 is an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) international standard that provides a framework for an organization to proactively manage the risks and opportunities associated with workplace hazards in order to prevent work-related injury and ill health to workers. This management system framework is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act model, augmented with requirements for visible support and commitment by top management, and the engagement and involvement of workers. The intended outcome is to provide a safe and healthy workplace.
This standard has been designed to be integrated into an organization’s overall Management System (MS) and implemented seamlessly with its Quality and/or Environmental Management System, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
This highly interactive course takes students through all stages of an internal OHS MS audit, using realistic case studies and exercises to emphasize the business value gained from conducting effective audits. Through workshops, discussions, and role-plays, participants will learn to develop an effective audit program, and how to plan, conduct, and report results in accordance with ISO 19011, Management System
Auditing Guidelines. This course will help students learn to accurately interpret and audit against the ISO 45001:2018 requirements. Participants can use these skills to establish or enhance an existing internal audit program and perform internal OHS MS audits in a manner that provides the greatest business benefit.
Who Should Attend
This ISO 45001 Internal Auditor Training course is designed for Safety Managers, Engineers, Coordinators and Consultants with OHS responsibilities; Environmental or Quality Professionals seeking to expand their knowledge into OHS auditing; those responsible for implementing an OHS MS within their organization; and those who are responsible for operations that have significant hazards.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the responsibilities of an internal OHS MS auditor and the principles of auditing in accordance with ISO 19011, including:
- Identify the key components of an internal OHS MS audit program
- Plan and prepare for an internal OHS MS audit
- Evaluate auditor and audit team competencies
- Gather and evaluate audit evidence
- Write factual audit findings and reports that help to improve the effectiveness of an organization’s OHS MS
- Assess the completeness and effectiveness of corrective action
- Improve the internal OHS MS audit program
- Understand the purpose and structure of ISO 45001:2018, and how to assess the technical requirements, including:
- Organizational Context issues and Interested Party requirements
- Identification and management of OHS and MS risks and opportunities associated with workplace hazards, legal and other requirements, and organizational context issues.
- Leadership and worker roles, responsibilities, and authorities
- The supporting elements of an OHS MS, such as resources, competence, awareness, communication and documented information
- Hierarchy of Control applied to workplace hazards, contractor and supplier management, and management of change.
- Performance assessment
ISO 45001:2018 Internal Auditing course topics include:
- Overview of ISO 45001:2018 Requirements
- Establishing and managing an Internal OHS MS Audit Program
- Planning and Performing an OHS MS Audit
- Collecting Objective Evidence through Interviews, Observation and Documentation Reviews
- Preparing Audit Reports and Communicating Audit Results
None (Participants should bring a copy of the ISO 45001:2018 Standard)
8:30am-4:30pm (EST) each day
Course Instructor: Susan Briggs – Consultant, Environmental Management Systems / ISO 14001
Combination lecture, case studies and classroom exercises
Available at QSG’s training facilities and on-site at your organization