The course explores how Design Reviews can be used along with other new product development methods to improve product designs and uncover potential problems early enough to fix them. A range of effective techniques for organizing and conducting Design Reviews will be presented. Participants will receive specific guidance and tools to assist them in customizing Design Reviews to reflect their own organizations’ requirements.
In this workshop, participants will learn the essential elements of a robust Design Review process and have the opportunity to apply these principles in a real Design Review by playing each of the roles in a typical Design Review: leader, facilitator, recorder, and participant. After these application practice exercises lessons learned will be captured to identify positive outcomes as well as opportunities for improvement.
Who Should Attend
This course is appropriate for engineers and managers involved in the development of new products, including team roles such as design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, product development and project engineers, quality control personnel, project managers, and engineering managers.
Upon completion of training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of the Design Review process in the product development process
- Establish the requirements for a successful Design Review process
- Describe the types and timing of Design Reviews
- Organize a typical Design Review
- Conduct a Design Review and set clear follow-up action items
- Outline of the Design Review Process: Design Review as part of an overall risk management process, What design reviews are and are not
- Design Review Context: Place for the Design Review in the Product Development Process
- Types and Timing of Reviews: Project reviews vs. Technical Reviews, Concept reviews, Preliminary reviews, Critical reviews, Production readiness reviews
- Scope of Design Reviews: Design Review vs. gate (or phase) review, Formal and informal reviews, Key ingredients for a successful review, Implementing a Design Review process
- Organizing an Effective Design Review: Participant roles, Selecting participants, Preparing for the Design Review, Assignments, Duration
- Conducting a Design Review: Best practices, Using checklists and Internal Company Standards, Conflict Management
- Post–Design Review Follow-Up: Meeting minutes, Closure, and follow-up
Design Reviews Course Format
Combination lecture/discussion, group work session
Available at QSG’s training facilities and on-site at your organization
Design Review Process, QSG