AS9100:2016 (D) – NEW QUALITY MANAGEMENT STANDARD for the International Aviation, Space and Defense IndustrySpecial Bulletin
The AS9100:2016 Standard introduced in September 2016 has undergone a major revision in keeping with the changes being made to the ISO 9001 standard. AS9100:2009 is an internationally-recognized quality management system for the Aviation, Space and Defense industry that specifies the quality system requirements for the design/development, production, and where relevant, installation and servicing of a variety of products and services. AS9100:2009 provides organizations with a basic quality management system for continual improvement and customer satisfaction.
AS9100 Rev. D is built on the structure of ISO 9001:2015 and includes all the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 along with approximately 105 additional requirements specific to the Aviation, Space and Defense industry. The drivers of AS9100 Rev. D are the changes found in ISO 9001:2015, along with aerospace additions and other IAQG standards.
Major areas of focus include:
- Configuration Management – Risk Management
- Special Requirements
- Critical Items
- On Time Delivery
- Project Management
- Supplier Scope of Approval
Other areas of focus include:
- Product Safety – Added in carefully selected areas and consistent with 9110
- Human Factors – Added as a consideration in Nonconformity/ Corrective Action
- Risk – Merged current 9100 requirements with the new ISO requirements
- Preventive Action – Current clause requirements absorbed into Risk, Opportunities and Nonconformance
- Counterfeit Parts – Enhanced in carefully select areas and limited new requirements
- Configuration Management Clause – clarified and improved considerably to address stakeholder needs
- Product Realization & Planning
- Post Delivery Support – Merged current 9100 requirements with the new ISO requirements
- Project Management – Combined with Operation Planning clause to address user interpretation issues
- Design Development and Supplier Management
- Gap analysis – ISO text has been added back in a few places to meet the IAQG needs
- Quality Manual – Note added pointing to the requirements that make up a Quality Manual or the equivalent
- Management Representative Requirement – added back in for Management Representative QMS oversight
This document provides correlation matrices from AS9100:2016 to AS9100:2009 and AS9100:2009 to AS9100:2016.
This document can be used to highlight where the new, revised and deleted clauses are located, as well as the location of clauses that are unchanged.
When implemented and managed well, the AS9100:2016 requirements can:
- Produce and continually improve safe and reliable products
- Meet or exceed customer and regulatory requirements to ensure satisfaction
- Processes necessary to conduct day-to-day business are defined and managed
- Documentation accurately reflects the work to be performed and actions to be taken
- Focus on the complete supply chain and stakeholders
- Fewer customer unique documents
- Recognized by Regulatory Authorities
Transition Process and Timing
All organizations currently certified to AS9100/9110/9120 will need to transition to the new version of the standard by September 14, 2018. You can start preparing for the transition immediately, educating the relevant people in your business and revising your QMS in line with the new High Level Structure
Quality Support Group will offer (starting on November 1, 2017) several training courses to get your and your staff up to speed on the new AS9100:2016 requirements. Plan to attend one of the below training courses to ensure you have all of the information on the latest requirements.